Answered By: Bobray Bordelon Last Updated: Mar 02, 2018 Views: 74
If your dataset has less than 1,000,000 rows, you can open it in Excel 2007 or higher.
Here are the steps:
- Sort the PERMNO field or the field you want to deduplicate and select the column
- From the Menu bar, Data-> Filter-> Advanced Filter
- In the Advanced Filter Dialog Box, check the "Filter the list, in-place" button, and check the "Unique records only" checkbox, then OK.
If your dataset has more than 65000 rows, you can open it in Stata.
Here are the steps to deduplicate PERMNO:
- Assume you save the .csv file in H: drive.
- cd H:
- insheet using mydata.csv
- sort permno
- duplicates drop permno, force
- outsheet using deduplicatedpermno.csv, c
Where deduplicatedpermno.csv is the dataset with unique PERMNOs.
Chat with a Librarian
Text a Librarian
Text (609) 277-3245 to get live help on your mobile phone (available the same hours as the Chat service)
Email a Librarian
Call a Librarian
Call (609) 258-5964 to speak to a reference librarian during most open hours of the Libraries.